Professional Registration (RLIANZA) is an important milestone for any library and information professional.
It establishes your level of knowledge, understanding and competence. In particular, registration shows your peers and employers that you have demonstrated a commitment to professional standards, and to developing and enhancing competence.
BENEFITS OF REGISTRATION
- Recognition as a professional in your field
- Improved self-motivation and career opportunities
- Greater influence within your organisation and industry
- Independent confirmation that you meet professional standards of competency for the library and information sector
- Evidence that you are a reflective professional – continuously up-dating your knowledge and skills
- Connecting you with innovative, influential and inspirational people
- International bench-marking recognition of your qualifications and experience
- RLIANZA post-nominal to be used professionally
- Eligibility to apply for professional recognition as a LIANZA Associate
- Eligibility to be nominated to LIANZA Council
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The initial application fee is $57.50 GST incl, which you can pay by credit card or be invoiced for.
Following the approval of your registration by the LIANZA Professional Registration Board, you will then be invoiced $115 GST incl annually along with your LIANZA annual membership fee of $155.00.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
GETTING AN EXTENSION ON YOUR REVALIDATION JOURNAL
If exceptional circumstances have conspired to prevent you from submitting your journal on time the LIANZA Professional Registration Board can grant you an extension of up to 12 months. This allows you to complete your journal without stress, but doesn’t exempt you from the annual Continuing Professional Development requirement. To obtain an extension email your request to the Chair of the LIANZA Professional Registration Board, care of the LIANZA Office.
TAKING A LEAVE OF ABSENCE FROM PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION
Sometimes an extension isn’t enough – you may need a temporary hiatus from the scheme. When you need a complete break from Professional Registration, including the annual CPD requirement you can request a leave of absence. Simply email your request to the Chair of the LIANZA Professional Registration Board, care of the LIANZA Office.
WHAT DOES A LEAVE OF ABSENCE ENTAIL?
A professional registration holiday isn’t just an extension to your revalidation due date. It gives you a period where you are exempt from participation in the scheme, with no fees, and no CPD requirement, whilst maintaining your registered status.
Upon returning to the scheme, you will have 12 months to complete a journal covering that period – so only six entries in total are required.
I’M UNEMPLOYED – CAN I STILL BE REGISTERED?
Absolutely, provided you can demonstrate you are maintaining your skills across the Body of Knowledge. If you're unemployed and unable to access relevant training you have the option of taking a year-long leave of absence while you look for employment. Cath Sheard, the current LIANZA Professional Registration Board Chair, wrote a great article in the 2017 July Library Life on ways you can do this, with some examples included.
More questions? We're here to help.