NATIONAL LIBRARY OF NEW ZEALAND POLICY ON TABLES OF CONTENTS
- This policy applies to works in scope for the NZNB, and both NLNZ and ATL music collection items.
- Non-NZNB print titles (except music scores) acquired for the NLNZ collections do not need contents notes.
- Non-NZNB titles acquired for the ATL collections have contents notes added following existing instructions under ATL cataloguing notes.
Add a table of contents to:
- Conference proceedings
- Edited collections of papers/chapters by different authors
- Musical sound recording collections
- Collections of scores
- Literary collections of individual authors or various authors (including poems, drama, essays, short stories)
- Collections on DVD
- Work of a single author if the cataloguer judges that chapter titles provide more information than title and subject headings combined
Add a partial table of contents to:
- Conference proceedings with only some papers by New Zealand authors.
Do not add a table of contents:
- if contents titles have no information value (e.g. quirky or humorous headings that don’t contain keywords for searching)
- if contents effectively repeat what is already covered by the title and statement of responsibility area
Last updated: October 4, 2018 (JHS)