4-month summer internship with Tauranga City Libraries
About Tauranga City Council
Tauranga City Council is one of Tauranga’s largest employers, and we are always looking to attract great talent to join our driven, passionate, and community-focused team. To highlight that our people are our greatest asset, we offer a wide range of benefits that include 5 weeks annual leave, flexible work from home options, career development as well as an active social club. We always strive to ensure that you feel valued and supported in the workplace.
About the role
E ngā mana, e ngā reo, e ngā maunga, e ngā wai, e ngā pātaka o ngā taonga tuku iho, tēnā koutou!
Kei te wātea tētahi tūranga ki Te Ao Mārama o Tauranga Moana. Ko ēnei e whai ake nei ngā āhuatanga me ngā whakaritenga o tēnei tūranga.
Do you have a passion for hītori Māori, mātauranga Māori, or taonga Māori as an essential part of the present we live in and the future we will build? Would you like to experience working with historic artefacts and taonga Māori? Are you looking for a work experience opportunity over the summer months with an enthusiastic team of heritage and library professionals?
Tauranga City Libraries have an exciting opportunity for a Heritage Trainee to join the Heritage & Research team for a 4-month fixed-term period. Reporting to the Team Leader: Heritage & Research, this position works with the team to preserve and provide access to our taonga Māori and research collections. This is a full-time position, working 40 hours per week between Monday and Friday with the odd Saturday, however this is flexible for the right person.
This role includes:
- Assisting customers to access our resources.
- Working with the team to describe, conserve, and promote taonga Māori in the library’s collections.
What you’ll need to succeed
To succeed in this role, you’ll bring
- An understanding of Te Reo and Tikanga Māori.
- Be self-motivated and driven while working in a changing environment, and capable of supporting others through change.
- Be studying towards a tertiary qualification in library or heritage studies (or equivalent).
- Have excellent communication skills, and an ability to successfully communicate with a wide variety of people in a culturally sensitive and professional manner.
- Have proven skills in, and commitment to, the provision of customer focused services.
How to apply
This is an exciting time for Tauranga City Libraries! If you are looking to take on a rewarding and value-adding role, and have the right skills and experience mentioned above, then we would love to hear from you! For more information, refer to the detailed position description attached. For any queries, please contact Jody Smart at firstname.lastname@example.org or 07 557 6601
Please note we will not be accepting applications via email. If you wish to apply, please apply here: https://www.seek.co.nz/job/58550102
Applications will close on October 7, 2022.
Applications will close upon the appointment of a successful candidate.
- Our selection process may include behavioural interview(s), psychometric and ability assessments, reference checks, and pre-employment screening.
- Tauranga City Council will not accept applications or contact from any placement service, temporary staffing agency, or professional recruiter for this vacancy. If/where Tauranga City Council requires the support of a recruitment agency, we will seek this support from our network of agencies. We ask that you please do not contact Tauranga City Council or any of its employees regarding vacancies. Tauranga City Council will not be responsible for, and will not pay, any commissions, fees or other payments related to such unsolicited contact.