Two positions available
Position 1 – City Campus & Manawa; Permanent, Proportional 0.8FTE (30 hours per week)
Position 2 – City Campus; Permanent, Proportional 0.6FTE (22.5 hours per week)
- Facilitate support for student academic success
- Manage electronic records in the library catalogue and institutional repository
- Deliver library services both “front of house” and “behind the scenes”
Ara Institute of Canterbury is a vibrant and progressive tertiary institute providing world-class, tertiary-level education throughout the Canterbury and Waitaki region. Our talented staff, innovative business collaborators and supportive community partners are passionate about the role they play in our students’ success.
The Library and Information Services team work in partnership with academic and support departments and divisions to support Ara’s educational objectives and student success. The team is multi-functional, responsible for coordinating and delivering all of the Library’s collection services including lending and circulation, technical services (acquisitions, cataloguing, serials management), and facilitate access to Library information and collection resources that support and enhance teaching, learning and research for staff and students at Ara.
Applications are sought for two part time Assistant Librarians to facilitate access to Library information and collection resources that support and enhance learning, teaching and research for colleagues and students at Ara. In these roles you will work within the Academic Support team where a range of professionals work collaboratively to provide coherent, integrated student support.
Position 1 – Hours of work will be rostered Tuesday to Saturday, with one or two days per week being based at Manawa, and the others at City Campus.
Position 2 – Hours of work will be rostered Monday to Wednesday at City Campus with at least one day per week at Manawa.
- Facilitate access to Library services and collections
- Provide technical services including acquisitions, cataloguing and serials management and circulation services
- Acquire and catalogue resources in all formats with a focus on the management of electronic records in the library catalogue and institutional repository
- Maintain Library Social Media, Website & embedding videos in the Website
- Deliver Library Information Services through rostered desk duties (roster may include evenings and weekends) and online via online chat facility, workshops & Q&A sessions
- Management and analysis of collection statistics
- Assist with lending and circulation tasks as required.
- Recent, relevant Library qualifications and experience
- Computing and web-based skills and familiarity with current information technology applications
- Flexibility in availability for work including evenings and weekends
- Cultural sensitivity and understanding
- Familiarity with Te Reo Maori & knowledge in Maori Subject Headings will be an advantage
- Understanding of the principles and practices of collection development, reference services and sources for information retrieval
- Well-developed conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills
- Valid New Zealand driving license and willing to drive down to Southern Campuses (Timaru & Ashburton) as and when required.
Enjoy excellent employment conditions, a great central city location and access to modern on-site facilities including Gym/Recreation Centre with free staff yoga and group fitness sessions, Visions on Campus Restaurant, two Childcare Centres and a Health Centre.
We accept applications via our online application system. For a job description and/or to apply online please visit http://www.ara.ac.nz/about-us/work-at-ara.
If you have any queries in relation to the vacancy or application process, please contact the People and Culture team via PeopleandCulture@ara.ac.nz or 03 940 8623. Emailed applications will not be considered.
Applications close – Sunday 30 June 2019